Volunteer at the Family Shelter in San Angelo
Unfortunately, domestic abuse is an all too real reality for some families. The Family Center in San Angelo offers many services to folks who may feel trapped by their circumstances. They are currently looking for volunteers to help continue their mission to help domestic abuse victims.
Volunteers are needed to help in their child activity center, help with resident transportation, and working in the service office as a victim advocate. The Family Shelter offers emergency shelter, counseling and a children's program for victims of domestic violence. If you would like to volunteer, there are a couple of ways to do so:
- Call 325.658.8631
- Email completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Print and Mail completed application to: ATTN: Volunteer Coordinator P.O. Box 5018 San Angelo, TX 76902
Leaving an abusive situation can be the most dangerous time for women and children. The Family Shelter has a 24/7 Hotline: 655-5774. You can call the Hotline to help prepare a safety plan or call 911.
When leaving an abusive relationship, there are some basic guidelines to help you get to where you need to be. Some things to remember:
- It is best to leave when the abuser is not home.
- Tell a neighbor about the violence and have them call 911 if they hear, or suspect, a disturbance from your home.
- Have a bag packed and hidden with a neighbor, friend or relative.
- If you have pets, make arrangements ahead of time with an emergency shelter or animal rescue organization for their safety.
- Keep a timeline of unreported incidents and when the police were called. Keep a copy of previous police reports for officers to review, if needed.
- Important items to have when you are ready to leave:
- ID, Birth Certificates, Social Security Cards, Passports, Car Registration/Insurance, Cash, Medications, Medical Information, Keys, Clothing, Children's School Records.