1st San Angelo River Fest!
A Kids’ Court full of inflatable jump houses, pony and barrel train rides, a petting zoo, a face painter and performers will replace a last-minute cancellation of the planned carnival at Saturday’s River Fest.
The Kids’ Court will offer family-friendly activities, much of it free, from 1 p.m.-7 p.m. this Saturday, Oct. 19, the second day of the two-day event. River Fest will celebrate the 100th anniversary of Santa Fe Park and the recently completed improvements to the Concho River downtown with a wide array of events, including two concerts and a color run.
The Kids’ Court will feature at least three jump houses, one basketball-playing inflatable and a soccer/football-playing inflatable along with the other activities. Among the performers will be the Raks Sanan dance group, which specializes in unusual dance styles.
The owners of the planned carnival cancelled its appearance, citing equipment and staffing issues.
The festivities will occur, rain or shine.
Musicians from the San Angelo Songwriters Association will perform 45-minute sets from 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, at a new stage built under the Chadbourne Street bridge as part of the improvements. There is no fee for the entertainment.
Tickets are on sale now for the Saturday night concert, headlined by Little Texas and Casey James, at the RiverStage. All tickets to the Saturday, Oct. 19, concert are general admission. Advance tickets cost $22 for adults and $16 for children ages 2-12. Children younger than 2 are admitted for free.
Tickets can be purchased at cosatx.us (Online Services à Buy Tickets Online) or at the McNease Convention Center, 500 Rio Concho Drive; Blair’s Western Wear, 4230 Sherwood Way; Pinkie’s Liquor Store, 1415 S. Bryant Blvd.; Barbed Wire and Roses in Sunset Mall, 4001 Sunset Drive; and the Goodfellow Air Force Base Event Center Information, Tickets & Tours Office. Tickets may also be purchased by calling (325) 658-6464 between 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.
Registration also continues for the “Color Up” fun run, a non-competitive run in which the participants will be bombarded with a rainbow of colored corn starch throughout the 5K course. Registration is $50 at colorup5K.com. There is a $5 discount if you enter the code “CONCHO” at checkout.
River Fest begins this Friday, Oct. 18. From 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., a new selection of statues will be unveiled at Sunken Garden Park during the 2nd annual Salmon Sculpture Competition.
The day culminates with a free concert at the RiverStage from 7 p.m. until midnight. The lineup includes Favors for Favors performing from 7 p.m.-7:45 p.m., The Red Tape from 8:05 p.m.-8:50 p.m., The Old Hat Band from 9:15 p.m.-10:15 p.m.; and the famed Texas Tornados from 10:40 p.m.-12:10 a.m. The Tornados play a fusion of rock, country and Mexican music, and are best known for their hits “(Hey Baby) Que Paso” and “Is Anybody Goin’ to San Antone.”
A packed lineup on Saturday, Oct. 19, includes:
- 9 a.m.-11 a.m. – Color Up fun run. Begins at the Fort Concho parade grounds, finishes at El Paseo de Santa Angela pavilions.
- 9 a.m.-noon – A four-player scramble golf tournament, Santa Fe Golf Course.
- 10 a.m.-4 p.m. – The annual Eco Fair hosted by the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts along El Paseo.
- 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m. – Games, activities, music and concessions for children and families, Kids’ Kingdom park.
- 11 a.m.-11:30 a.m. – Kickoff and dedication, Kids’ Kingdom park.
- 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. – Paddle boats on the river between Irving and Oakes streets.
- 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. – Bocce ball and chess, games court in The Bosque.
- 1 p.m.-7 p.m. – Kids’ Court at Neff’s Park.
- 1 p.m.-5 p.m. – Skate demonstrations at the downtown skate park and Water Lily Collection tours at Civic League Park.
- 1 p.m.-7 p.m. – Washer-pitching tournament, games court in The Bosque.
- 1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m. – Canoe and kayak races on the river between Koenigheim and Irving streets.
- 2 p.m.-3:30 p.m. – Vintage baseball game, Kids’ Kingdom park.
- 2:30 p.m.-5 p.m. – Cardboard boat regatta between Celebration Bridge and Irving Street.
- 8:30 p.m.-11 p.m. – Little Texas and Casey James concert, RiverStage.
For more information, go to cosatx.us/riverfest.